John 8:36 - So if the Son makes you free, you will be truly free.

Galatians 5:1 - We have freedom now, because Christ made us free. So stand strong. Do not change and go back into the slavery of the law.


This is my journey.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mistakes

Mistakes.

We all make them. Arguments, breakups, forgetfulness.

Regret.

We all have it. Something we did, something we said, somewhere we went, someone we hurt.

How much of us is our past? How much of our past is part of our present? Should a mistake made once haunt us forever? A mistake made twice, or three times?

I have hurt and been hurt. I have done things I regret, more than I can count. Other people have said words to me that I know they regret, just as I have regretted my own.

Is it possible to move forward? To let the past be the past, and the mistakes therein not project into the future?

Everyone's mistakes are different, and not all mistakes are noticeable as such right away. Sometimes hindsight reveals what we could have done better, what we should have said differently, what we wish we hadn't done, in light of the future.

I only know one thing. I will not be ruled by my mistakes. They are done. I will apologize if any situation requires it, then hopefully move forward.

Are my mistakes a part of me? Yes.

Do they define me?

No.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. Thank you. Learning and moving forward. Right on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words! If we let guilt define us, there can be no growth. Growth requires space and self-love. The most constructive way is to acknowledge the particular mistake and move on.

    Blessings,
    This Good Life

    ReplyDelete