John 8:36 - So if the Son makes you free, you will be truly free.

Galatians 5:1 - We have freedom now, because Christ made us free. So stand strong. Do not change and go back into the slavery of the law.


This is my journey.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Contentment



Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you." - Hebrews 13:5








Contentment. It can often be a difficult task, to be content. Not just with what I have (or don't have!), but the situations I find myself in, the things I do or don't want to do, the ways God is working to mold me into a woman after His heart.

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain that we can carry nothing out. – 1Timothy 6:6-7

It’s not worth it to be discontent with my situation, or my life, or what I don’t have, and the list goes on… THINGS are just things, situations in my life are only temporal. God has put me in my life exactly where I belong, to do exactly what He has planned for me to do! Discontentment will only harm my joy and ability to do anything for anyone else. Our culture is very based on “do/have this to be happy” and “think about what will make YOU happy”, when really, I have found the times I am most happy and content is when I am serving others.

A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy is rottenness to the bones. – Proverbs 14:30

So often, we miss or overlook those little gifts in life that God gives us, those everyday small joys. If I can’t find joy in the small things… how will I be able to find true joy in the big things? I have seen that often come to be true; those who are always looking for something BIG to bring them happiness, never find true happiness even when those BIG things are attained. As Paul said,

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:11-13

It's incredibly easy to fall into the trap of thinking that having our lives be perfectly comfortable and "perfect" will make us better people, when it's really the opposite. It's only through the hardships, the trials, the tough times, that God is able to work and chip at our sins and flaws and mold us into who He has designed us to be.

I find myself saying "Lord, why this trial? Why this struggle? Why this hardship?" And He is saying "I want you to learn to pray. I want you to learn to trust. I want you to focus on me and only me to be everything you need." Because really... how else would I learn?

And He said to them, "Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions." Luke 12:15

No comments:

Post a Comment