John 8:36 - So if the Son makes you free, you will be truly free.

Galatians 5:1 - We have freedom now, because Christ made us free. So stand strong. Do not change and go back into the slavery of the law.


This is my journey.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Miracles Or Myself?




Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. - John 14:12

What is a “miracle”?

mir·a·cle

noun
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God.
3. a wonder; marvel.
4. a wonderful or surpassing example of some quality: a miracle of modern acoustics.

In order for a miracle to happen, there are several necessaries required. 1. It is the accomplishment of something otherwise deemed impossible. 2. It is that impossible task brought about through supernatural means.

I want to be used by God in a supernatural way, I want Him to be able to use my life to work miracles in the lives of others. I have talent, I have many abilities. I feel well-able to be used by God, and perhaps that is the problem. Why would I need God's help to work through me if I am already equipped to accomplish it myself?

Too often I ask, “Lord, what can I do for you? What can I do to build a ministry/touch lives/spread the gospel?” Perhaps the question should really be, “Lord, what do you want to do through me to further your Kingdom and bring glory to your name?”

To be honest, I have never felt like someone that God couldn't use. I have never experienced an identity crisis in which I feel totally worthless and useless to God. In fact, it's generally the opposite... me wondering, Lord, why haven't you guided me to use my talents yet? I should be using them for something, right? When are you going to show me what you've given them to me for?

I want to see miracles, but I somehow also want to affect them through my own doings, rather than relying solely on God. In fact, I rarely find myself in situations where I've stepped out to the point of needing to trust completely on God because there is no plan B.

No plan B. Now that is a frightening thought! I like my plans. I like the assurance of a well-thought out plan and course of action. I like knowing when/where/how/why/who. I like to know I can accomplish something in my own strength.

Even in the little things, I have such a hard time with “letting go and letting God.” Focusing on prayer (and sometimes fasting as well), without worrying about the “what ifs” and plan B's. Forget plan B! I want God's plan A! I don't want to simply garner carnal glory for myself, but rather doing whatever God has called me, His work and for His glory.

Lord... what do you want to do through me to further your Kingdom and bring glory to your name?

Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. - John 14:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment